Support Sunday Dare’s Efforts In Repositioning Sports In Nigeria – SWAN
Kaduna, North – West, Nigeria
The Sports Writers’ Association of Nigeria has called on the federal, states, local governments and sports loving Nigerian to support the efforts of the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare to reposition sports in Nigeria.
This plea was made during the zoom meeting of National Executive Committee of Sports’ Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) held December 5th, 2020.
After exhaustive deliberations on the crisis in SWAN and way forward, the following decisions were reached.
The communique drafted and signed by,
Ado Salisu (Chairman), Mike Oboh (Secretary) and Mr. Femi Amusan reads thus:
(1) That the Federal Government deserves accolades on its resolve to promote sporting activities in accordance with COVID-19 guidelines.
(2) That the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare, should be encouraged in his relentless efforts to rekindle hope for sports in the country, and the move to ensure that, besides participation, sports is used as a tool for unity, tourism, wealth creation, international recognition and diplomacy.
(3) That governments at all levels need to invest more in sports to be able to put in place the necessary infrastructure and enabling environment for an enduring growth for Nigerian sportsmen and women.
(4) That the Federal, state and local governments put in place more grassroots development programmes for the discovery of budding talents which should be nurtured for international competitions.
(5) That Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) should take decisive steps to make the Nigerian league more attractive and more competitive so as to encourage the involvement of both local and international sponsors.
(6) That there should be transparent management of sponsorship funds, while corporate organisations and wealthy individuals should endeavour to invest in sports in Nigeria instead of channelling their resources towards patronising foreign sports ventures.
(6) That the NEC of SWAN applauds the readiness of the Edo state government to host the 20th National Sports Festival.
(7) That all stakeholders need to support Nigeria’s Super Eagles in their quest to qualify for the 2021 Africa Cup of nations billed for Cameroon.
(8) That NEC resolves to open a new bank account dedicated to membership registration and I.D card with 3 signatories, as a way to reposition the Association for a better future in line with the ethical values of journalism profession.
(9) NEC of SWAN also resolves to start registration of new ( NUJ- SWAN) members and revalidation of old members for the year 2021.